Cross Country Team
It’s that time of year again! The Seattle Running Club is looking forward to another great year of local cross country racing and we’re inviting you to join us!
Starting August 31 and lasting through the Regional Championships race in late November*, meet us at each Wednesday after work (6:30pm) for team workouts, led by Seattle University XC+T&F coaches (as well as renowned local SRC runners) Trisha + Uli Steidl! Meet your teammates and hone your speed for the upcoming 2016 season. Unless otherwise noted, meet at Genesee Park (map) (north side of Genesee St before daylight savings ends, south side of Genesee St near the soccer fields and lights after daylight savings ends). The workouts will begin at 6:30pm, but if possible, come early to get a warm-up. Even if you aren’t sure you want to race this season, feel free to come out and get a good group workout in!
*Meet spot for off-season Wednesday Workouts (also 6:30pm start time) is the Garfield High School track in the Central District.
**The Wednesday prior to the Sundodger Invitational, the workout will be a course preview run on the Lincoln Park course in West Seattle (map).
The Wednesday prior to the Emerald City (Oct 12th), we will work out at Greenlake’s Lower Woodland Park (map) to preview that course.
There may be workouts where we do hill repeats and/or meet at a different location than Genesee Park, and you can find those dates below and will be communicated ahead of time. About half of the workouts will be at Genesee Park.
2016 Cross Country Schedule
|Sep 17, 2016||Sundodger Invitational*||Lincoln Park, Seattle||Women 6k Open – Men 8k Open|
|Oct 2, 2016||Stumptown XC 5K||Portland, OR||Results|
|Oct 8, 2016||WWU Classic||Bellingham, WA||Results|
|Oct 15, 2016||Emerald City Open*||Lower Woodland Park, Seattle||Women 3rd; Men 3rd|
|Nov 6, 2016||PNTF Championship*||Lower Woodland Park, Seattle||Men 2nd; Women 2nd|
|Nov 20, 2016||USATF Regionals*||Lincoln Park, Seattle||Men 2nd; Women 3rd|
|Dec 10, 2016||USATF Club XC Nationals*||Tallahassee, FL|
*If you still aren’t sure if you should lace up your fastest kicks and race some loops, SRC makes it very easy for current members to try it out for free! The race entry fees are covered by the club for Sundodger, Emerald City Open, PNTF, USATF Regionals, and USATF Nationals…aka “FREE RACES”!
SRC XC 2016 Workout Schedule
Many thanks to Trisha Steidl for her 2016 workout schedule!
Workouts are subject to change, depending on weather, light, location issues, etc., but we will likely stick very close to the schedule linked above.
Workout meeting locations:
Aug 31: Genesee Park
Sep 7: Cascadia Hills (meet at Mt Baker Beach)
Sep 14: Lincoln Park
Sep 21: Fullerton Hill
Sep 28: Mt Baker Rowing Center (just north of Genesee Park)
Oct 5: Madrona Hills
Oct 12: Lower Woodland Park
Oct 19: Genesee Park
Oct 26: Cascadia Hills (meet at Mt Baker Beach)
Nov 2: Genesee Park
Nov 9: Genesee Park
Nov 16: Genesee Park
SRC XC is…a one of a kind journey into fitness levels you’ve only dreamed of, parties with teammates, glory, pain, 6, 8, or 10 km over hill and dale, muddy, jittery-then-relaxing, and worth-it. Our team has grown significantly in the last couple years. We travel together to the races, cheer at every hill, and chase down as many orange CNW rivals as we can. The cheer last year went something like, “Orange Juice! Orange Juice!” We’ll see what happens first, I catch Tyler Van Dooren or somebody comes up with a better cheer.
Have we piqued your interest? Then here are the details:
- Women and men race separately. At some events, masters (over 40 years old) race separately from open
divisions. Women run 6km and men run 8km or 10km, often on loop courses, such as Lower Woodland Park, near Greenlake.
- The race course surface is generally a combination of grass and dirt. Trails and pavement are accidental – hence the usefulness of spikes, particularly through mud.
- Individuals are recognized for their overall placement but what really matters is how the team’s combined score of the five best runners compares to that of other teams. Each runner gets a number representing his/her finishing order and the team with the lowest combined score wins.
- SRC participates in about six cross country races throughout the season, which spans from late September to early December. Individuals do not have to come to every race, but the more the better!
- SRC often sends teams of open men and women and masters’ men and women to Club Nationals. Those who are committed to the team are able to go to this amazing event, which changes venue every year.
- The format of separate races allows us to race and cheer for our fellow SRC racers (while warming up or cooling down) all in the same day – a fun team-building experience.
- Entry fees vary, but most are paid by SRC!
Take the next step! Contact our team leaders for more information: